I commented a lot on Facebook today, but one last thing. There was some media criticism (from whom shall go unnamed) of people getting caught up in watching this in light of all the terrible tornadoes. 

Here's my take: good and bad events have co-existed throughout history and joy and sorrow don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can't judge the compassion of a person based on whether they watch a wedding. I don't debate the extravagant cost, yet I know William and Kate encouraged donations to their foundation as gifts and I imagine they got quite a lot. 

If you didn't watch, no problem. It's not for everyone. I hadn't made specific plans to watch, and truthfully didn't pay much attention to it in the weeks leading up to it. But I woke up early enough to turn it on during Kate's processional. From what I could see, there were a lot of nice elements to the day. In particular, whatever you think of the Church of England and whether it was pomp and circumstance only, God's Word was proclaimed and valuable things were said to about 1/3 (estimate) of the WORLD through this event. I don't claim to know what Will and Kate peronally believe and probably don't agree with some of their choices. But going by today,  I think the two of them showed respect to each other, the people, the military...something that we sometimes severely lack in our culture.

We must remember that we serve a KING, not just a friend or buddy in our Savior. To see the pagentry today reminds me that there is a time to be silent, to be deeply respectful and in awe, to uplift the wonder of being united in marriage, of making vows (yes, I know they are sometimes broken...but many marriages do stay intact until "death do us part.")

With all the sad news in the world--and the sad marriage of Charles and Diana and her untimely death-- it is nice that for today there was a focus (even if overdone) on a happier occasion. I think emotionally a lot of people needed it--the world over.

God bless them for bringing a ray of sunshine to the world today.
Print This
|
1 Response
  1. Gail Hyatt Says:

    Thanks, Beth. Good thoughts.

    For me the wedding was a blessing. It was understated and beautiful and gave glory to God and to the institution of marriage. We have far too little of that these days.

    Blessings.