When we read chapter four, we tend to focus on the second half of the chapter, where Esther makes a decision to go to the king despite the real risk that she could be executed for it. This is obviously a critical part of the book of Esther, with the key verse being verse 14: "And who knows but that your have come to your royal position for such a time as this?"

However, today, let's consider the beginning part of the chapter. Mordecai has found out about the plot against the Jews and begins intense mourning. Esther's attendants came and told her about the situation and four words in verse four stand out:

The Queen was stunned.

Esther had no clue what was going on. She was shocked by this turn of events. If her attendants hadn't told her, she would possibly have continued merrily on, enjoying what must have been some pleasant and protected joys in the castle, while her people were in risk of horrible abuse or more outside the gate.

This gives me pause. I live a fairly protected life. I'm blessed with a husband and son who know how to do their best to keep me safe. I have worked in pleasant jobs within non-profits and ministries with great, God fearing people. I haven't had to deal with a lot of greed or ethical temptations in business through the years. I feel like, for the most part, I am, to the best of my knowledge, at peace with the people I interact with and don't have a lot of relational tension. I admit it. My life is pretty sheltered. And, I like it that way.

God obviously planted Esther into the palace "for such a time as this." I don't condemn her for enjoying the spa-like atmosphere and her position. She didn't move out of the palace (although I imagine she would have been willing to if God called her in such a way.) However, once she became aware of the concern, she did not ignore it and overlook it.

She started with her own family. She sent clothing to Mordecai.

She asked for the full story. This is vital. So often (guilty as charged) we jump to quick conclusions about what is going on with a situation, not having all the facts. Esther decided to obtain all the info before acting further.

She didn't immediately agree to what was asked of her. Granted, we tend to think she should have obeyed Mordecai right away, but I don't fault her for having to take time to adjust to the very risky proposal he was making.

She took time for prayer. Enough said.

She involved others. She fasted with her closest attendants. It is wise and healthy to have a few close friends you can bounce life around with and encourage and pray for one another.

She became resolved. She didn't drag out the "I'll pray about it" scenario. Within a few days, she knew she was to take the step of going to the king. And she did it with courageous resolution. "If I perish, I perish."


So, in relation to my life, how does this affect me?

I don't think it's wrong to live and enjoy the life God has given. I have had hard times, and will have more. I don't need to immediately change my situation just because I learn of a need. But, if God clearly brings a need across my path, I should be praying and thinking and dialoging to some degree about why He put me in that situation.

You can't meet all needs. But with prayerful discernment, you can begin to sense that yes, indeed, God may have put you in a particular situation "for such a time as this."
Print This
|
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Boy, does this one hit home!
    I am so blessed where I am right now! Thanks be to God!
    In fact, a couple Sundays ago I was on the "outskirts" of a conversation where 2 ladies (both of whom I know and love) were making small talk, and loud enough for me to hear one said "except for Mary (me), she doesn't have any problems! To which I paused and chuckled and was about to say -- without thinking -- "yeah, right" and then I realized and said ... you know, "I really don't have any complaints." We all chuckled and went on, but it has made me contemplate on all I do have to be thankful for.
    I know that, just like Esther, it is "for such a time as this".
    I also believe that at this time in my life I am at rest so that when the time comes when I am not doing so well, I will have the strength to deal with whatever the Lord sends my way.