I am re-visiting meekness today because in some cases, it is presented as gentleness. If we are not careful, meekness can be seen as weakness, as in yielding to another's power (which is not always a bad thing.) So, if we consider the alternative definition of gentleness, that can help us flesh out this characteristic.
                                            
Are you gentle with your approach to life? My nickname at my part time job (dubbed by me) is "Crash." I have a tendency to come into the office somewhat loudly and unintentionally knock things over or walk with a heavy step. I am concentrating more on being gentle and graceful, in part because it is more considerate to my co-workers (who never complain and actually laugh about it, but still...) Some of us can be rather harsh in how we approach people, share our opinions, etc.

A lack of gentleness often stems from impatience. When we are rushing about, it's harder to take the time to be gentle. Gentle doesn't have to be weak. We've all seen strong men, for example, who can be very gentle around wives, children, or pets. However, gentleness often takes more time. To think of the loving way to speak the truth rather than just blurt our opinion, to be more conscious of those around us so we don't crowd them or bump into everything, to listen to our kids before placing demands, all takes a humble spirit. This also involves a lot of self control.

Self control is the "last" characteristic mentioned but is the glue that holds them all together. Love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, faithfulness, kindness and goodness are all products of self-control.

There's a difference between self-control and self-absorption. I feel like 2011 was, unfortunately, a year of too much self-absorption for me. I found myself to be obsessive about certain things and fearful about anything that would disrupt my peace. I recently again prayed a prayer of surrender to God and His will in my life. That's a scary thing to pray, but it's a better way to live. It's something that requires a daily "death" to me and my interests.

Surrender, ironically, can lead to self-control. When we take self off the throne of our hearts, it becomes easier to control other desires and impulses that would seem to crowd away such fruit as kindness, gentleness and joy.

Self control starts with a proper view of ourselves. Not thinking more highly than we ought to think, and looking at others as better than ourselves. (Phil. 2:3) It also means a reasonable view of ourselves as a blessed son or daughter of the king, who is covered in Jesus' righteousness and deeply loved. It's important to view ourselves as God does. Regularly doing that takes the focus where it needs to be, and allows the Spirit to control us, resulting in the fruit of the Spirit in our lives.
Print This
|
0 Responses