(Note: this blog is on extended sabbatical regarding new content, but we are sharing some past posts for encouragement.)


We've investigated how criticism is like a mirror, to help us reflect on things that may need to be changed in our life. We've considered it to be a brick, that can hurt, but also be part of a bridge. Today, in the last of this three part series, let's think about criticism as a rope.

When I receive criticism, I sometimes feel all tied up inside. Like a rope, the criticism tends to tie up my emotions, my time and my energy. It's hard to focus on anything else but dealing with the issue. If I'm not careful, I also can rope other people into the situation because I tend to process things out loud. While I don't think it is wrong to bounce a situation off a spouse or close friend for guidance, I am beginning to think it is wise to keep it to a limited few. If I rope too may people into it, the talking can easily become gossip. I must be careful who I seek counsel from, so that the individual doesn't develop a bad opinion of someone else just because of what I have gone through. (It's often best not to name names when seeking counsel on how to deal with criticism from another.)

Ropes are used for good purposes most of the time. Often, they are used in rescuing people from danger. Could it be that when someone throws me a criticism, it could actually be a way to rescue me from going down a dangerous, prideful path? Criticism humbles you...it reminds you of your imperfections, and the need for grace. So, this rope of criticism can actually tether you to the Lord if you let it. It can help you tie up some "loose ends" in your life even it feels like a tug of war with another person.

I came across a verse from Proverbs 9:8-9 that is fitting for this wrap up on criticism.

...But correct the wise,
and they will love you.
Instruct the wise,
and they will be even wiser.
Teach the righteous,
and they will learn even more.

When I look back on my life, some of the outstanding lessons that were of benefit to me were when I took a criticism seriously, learned from it, and made some changes. All of the situations were painful at the time, but I wouldn't trade them now. Being teachable is a huge blessing...it only makes you better. So the next time a mirror is held up to your face, or a brick is thrown at you, or you are roped into a difficult situation, learn from it. Embrace it. Speak up when necessary, but in love and grace. You'll come out the better person.


Print This
|
0 Responses