In this week's look at Amos 2 & 3, our email Bible study group is considering what it means to be a stumbling block (some of the Israelites were causing Nazarites, who took a vow that included abstaining from alcohol, to drink. See Amos 2:12.)

In the tradition in which I was raised, I was taught that simply by doing certain things (like attending a movie) I could cause a stumbling block. However, if you follow that logic, then you would refrain from many activities, for you could take almost anything and find someone who would be offended or put off by it. (Eating out on Sunday, playing too many sports, eating a certain restaurants...the list could go on and on.) Jesus' association with sinners and at parties would certainly have--and did--put off religious people of His day. So I'm thinking it means something else.

To me, being a stumbling block is when you tempt someone in an area over which they are trying to obtain victory. For example, if I know a friend of mine is having trouble staying on a budget, it is not wise for me to invite her for a weekend of shopping (which, by the way, would not be a way I'd want to spend an entire weekend anyway--shoot me now.) Or if another friend was dieting, to invite her out for dessert would be putting unnecessary temptation in front of her. So, I should kindly choose activities that would uplift individual friends, not tempt them in areas over which they are struggling.

Another area that women should probably think about is modesty. That topic has also come up these past several days in a couple of ways, including a news story about a female reporter being harassed by professional football players, so it seems timely to mention it. (I recommend you also take a moment to read this related blog post by a friend of mine.)

Modesty is a tricky one. There is no set way to define perfect lines of modesty. I've talked this over with my husband, and he admits that even modestly dressed women who look lovely can cause thought temptation for men. Yet, since the Bible teaches us to be more concerned about our inner spirit that our outer bodies, (1 Peter 3:3-4) I still think (and he can see my point) that Christian women who dress immodestly and in a way that attracts the eyes to the body unnecessarily are not being loving (in the Christian sister way) to their brothers in Christ.

I see a lot of immodest dressing among Christian women and girls and I think we should take more responsibility. Face it ladies, lust is a trouble spot for men--even Christian men--so are you causing that co-worker or friend to stumble more easily by the way you dress? Are you distracting males and females by the wide open shirt or overly tight clothing? It's something to think about...


Note: although I use FreeDigitalPhotos.net regularly, I do not approve of all content of that site.

Print This
|
0 Responses