3:7-9 NIV - Understand then that those who have faith are children of Abraham. Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: 'All nations will be blessed through you.' So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith."

If you have trusted Christ as Savior, you are also a child of Abraham. I remember attending a Passover Seder and appreciating the symbolism of the Jewish faith. But you know what? It's my faith, too! Because of Jesus, I am adopted into God's chosen family, as a descendant of Abraham. God intended to bless "all nations" through Abraham. And what was Abraham's claim to fame? His faith.

It's hard to describe faith sometimes. We refer to our "faith" as a noun representing our religious beliefs. We consider "faith based" organizations (such as HOPE Unlimited) to have core values rooted in God and His truths. We tell people to "have faith," recommended they believe something will turn out for the best. Faith is all those things. Simple, yet deep and rich, faith is exercised when we believe in someone or something beyond ourselves.

Paul reminds the Galatians that simple faith in Christ is all that's needed for a relationship with Him. For those of us who have believed, it's still hard to live that faith everyday. Somehow, we want to add law keeping to it. Why is that?

I grew up going to strict churches and schools that could be described as "fundamentalist." I now attend and live a grace-based, rather than law-based faith. But I have to admit that it has been tempting now and then to go back to more legalist religious practice. Why? Because in some ways, it was easier. There was a side of me that liked having the rules and expectations clear to me. I'm a "do-er" and an achiever. I like measurable results. That's easier to get in a stricture culture. Did I have quiet time? Check. Did I wear the right things? Check. Did I attend enough services? Check.

But grace is simpler yet more complicated. It doesn't mean we do our own thing and ditch biblical principles. No! It means that out of gratefulness (appreciation rather than obligation) I want to be like Christ. Sometimes that's hard. It's not measurable. It's being available for God to interrupt my day. It's choosing to be patient with someone challenging to get along with. It's considering what God wants me to do rather than having my own life plan. (As I write these things, I realize how short I fall on them, but with the indwelling of Christ, it is HIM who lives in me! See Galatians 2:20. This is harder in some ways than reading the right books, wearing the right clothes, saying the right things, singing with the right music. It involves listening to God more than reading a list. It involves humility more than pride.

That's a true faith walk. Trusting God to show us daily what He wants, not just what organized religion expects. It's maneuvering through messy relationships that can't be fully defined. It's doing the things that sometimes don't make sense...following that prompting that takes a little courage instead.

And it's very rewarding in all the right ways.



Print This
|
0 Responses