I seem to be perpetually in a “not quite” mode lately--not quite making it to places on time. Not quite prepared for something. Not quite getting done what I wanted to. It's interesting (and perhaps pre-ordained?) that during this season I’ve also enrolled in a class called Getting Organized at Home—from “Want To” to “Will Do.” This class is being taught by my friend Stephanie Baker, a Christian Life Coach.

The first class was last Thursday night. It’s one of those classes where the chemistry already feels right—a special experience for participants and a teacher. For the first half hour or so, participants shared why they were interested in such a class. It’s always fun to see we are not alone in our tendencies and thoughts!

Stephanie encouraged us to make a list of the five areas of our home that most bother us. She began to guide us into the realization that unless the heart and mind are engaged, proper action will not follow. It goes beyond behavior modification. For example, remembering that we are the temple of God, can and should drive us to take care of ourselves and what God gives us. She also gently prodded us to consider having conversations (if applicable) with others who may have passed their stuff on to us, leaving us to deal with unnecessary clutter. (i.e. relatives, grown children, etc. Note: THEY are not the clutter, their stuff is, right? Just wanted to be clear on that.)

Stephanie shared about the “personalities of clutter,” such as the collector, the inheritor, the compulsive shopper, the scout and the hostess. While there can be positive sides to all of these personalities, they can trip us up if we go too far. For example, my best description would probably be the collector—but not of what you think. I do have some sentimental items, and I decorate my home office with items having the word “HOPE” on them. However, rather than closets full of clothes or every piece of schoolwork my now-graduated son ever did, I tend to collect “productivity or purpose” tools, sometimes to a fault. You should see all the tote-type bags I have, always on the quest for the perfect one. Or plastic bins to organize things with that somehow end up in a cabinet unused. Or file copies of all sorts of stuff that I probably will never refer to again. Or items from hobbies I thought I would stick with. You get the idea.

So, why I am adding another task to my week to blog about this class? Why am I even adding another appointment to my schedule by attending? For a few reasons. One, I think this topic has a lot to offer in my ongoing journey of simplifying my mind and life. Two, God has graciously brought Stephanie into my life as a new friend. We have discovered so much in common already. I feel I can learn from her and her teaching style. Three, I can share these important lessons by becoming a better communicator and by sharing valuable insights on what I’ve learned is a very hot topic for women especially.

I asked my Facebook friends whether they would read this series if I blogged about the class. Several said “yes.” So, in service to you and accountability to myself, look for updates on this for the next six weeks.

And thanks to Brookwood Church for offering this class via Brookwood U.

By the way, that photo is not of my office. Really. It's not.

Print This
|
2 Responses
  1. Oh my goodness, I have so much "inherited" stuff! Mom hates to throw anything away, so she would pass it to me whether I needed it or not. Then I would feel the burden of holding onto "family heirlooms" (using the word heirlooms loosely).

    This sounds like an interesting class, and I look forward to learning more in the coming weeks. :-)


  2. Thank you for taking the time and energy to do this.