"Here is something else I have learned: The fastest runners and the greatest heroes don't always win races and battles. Wisdom, intelligence and skill don't always make you healthy, rich or popular. We each have our share of bad luck." - Ecclesiastes 9:9

The writer of Ecclesiastes went through a lot of emotions as he observed life. Some of his thoughts should not be taken as doctrine, but as a transparent journey of feelings through the ups and downs of life. Within that process, he comes up with some wise sayings, like the one above.

I've been struck this week with the amount of information we have available to us. Too much, in fact. Everyone seems to have an opinion about things, and the Internet allows people to verbalize them from the safety of being behind a screen. Read almost any article now, scroll down, and you'll see a place for comments. I've seen mean and tasteless feedback about a person dancing on a show. I've seen varying opinions about events that happened far away from where I live. I've participated in dialogs and discussions that may or may not have been valuable or absolutely necessary.

Is it wrong to now things? To discuss things? I don't think so. But I think it is like eating too much or drinking too much or going to extremes in just about anything. Like the observation above, all this knowledge doesn't guarantee health, riches, popularity. I'm wondering if we are over-informed and overwhelmed with too much information and opportunity to pride ourselves on our viewpoints and opinions about matters. It's something to think about...and maybe not discuss. Print This
|
0 Responses