I want to camp on a particular verse in this chapter today because it relates to some things I've recently been learning.

Galatians 2:6 As for those who were held in high esteem-whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism--they added nothing to my message.

When Paul says this, he had decided to meet with some leaders of the church to as a sort of self-imposed accountability meeting. (Interestingly, in Chapter 1, he had immediately began serving others without checking with leadership,  but Paul seemed to sense when consultation was in order, and perhaps after 14 years of ministry…see verse 1…he began to see the value of accountability.)

Let's take a look at two important points in regard to Paul's attitude toward "those held in high esteem."

It made no difference to Paul. Paul obviously respected these leaders, but did not feel the need to make a big deal that he was spending time with them.

How different that is from so many of us! Confession: in these days of instant status updates, it is so tempting to mention if I've had a chance to meet or do something for someone of high influence in the community (not that it happens a lot.) People love to put up pictures of themselves with some celebrity or sports figure, or get an autograph. It's so tempting to say if someone "important" is a Facebook friend or Twitter follower, or to name drop about a project done with someone well-known.

I've done it too. And I still struggle with whether, for business purposes, I need to say whose project I helped edit or someone I met, etc. A friend used to tease me about name dropping on Facebook because I've built a sizeable network (which doesn't necessarily mean much.)

Paul, if he were sharing this on Facebook, would probably not have made a big deal about these leaders.

God does not show favoritism. Not only did it not matter much to Paul, it doesn't matter much to God either! Wow. The person with a platform of thousands is just as important as someone who leads a small group locally, or stays home to raise kids, or lives alone and prays for others.

That's not how our world works. We prefer to hold people in high esteem. As I write this, our community and an online community is reeling about the loss of an influential man who had tons of friends, yet a deep loneliness that ended his life prematurely. Many were shocked and very saddened. It was not enough to have been well-known.

In the past few years, God has been bringing home to me the importance of faithfulness rather than numbers. It's a hard lesson for me. Several years ago it appeared He was opening the door for some regular traveling and speaking. Then it abruptly shut, and the focus became the facilitation and teaching of small group and online Bible studies, with occasional seminars. I thought I had a dream to travel and speak, and that my personality worked better presenting to larger groups. But He is molding me to see that "when two or three are gathered," or today, when 12 of us sat around a table (hmmm...how many disciples did Jesus have?) THAT is where a lot of ministry happens.

It doesn't matter to God or my true friends how much influence I have. It's whether I am faithful to what He has called me to do today. Sometimes it may be for a small group, sometimes for a larger group, sometimes for those who read what I write. But as Paul and God remind us through one small verse, human reputation means very little. It's all about bringing glory to God.
Print This
|
0 Responses